Monday, June 11, 2007

And just WHY did I want to do this?

The view from my kitchen sink

Well, this is the pits. I finally open one of these things and all I can do is sit and stare at the blank screen - actually it's a taupe screen with all kinds of options for posting, publishing, fonting, aligning. It's my brain that is blank and won't produce anything postable, publishable, fontable, alignable. This thing will save my drafts automatically. Save my drafty old brain - okay?
Actually this is a test - to see if I'm here and what it looks like.
Hot rodders do it in drag. That's absurd enough.

Who am I? A Canadian living in the U.S. - from British Columbia to northern California by way of a brief detour through Arizona. A displaced person - a DP. When I was a kid, people referred routinely to new immigrants to the country as DPs. It was a derogatory term, said with much superiority and condescension, even as we patted ourselves on the back for being so good as to take "them" (whoever the current wave of "them" was) in. I really am glad that y'all were good enough to take me in, even though I've never completely assimilated.

That's enough for Day 1

4 comments:

Geezergirl said...

Welcome to America.It's good you're still keeping your Canadianness. I just recently had occasion to figure out what it is, after reading a comment posted on a movie review site by a woman who said she was startled by a scene in the movie, because Canadians are easily startled cause they are not used to violence and scary things. And I thought, uh huh, right the peaceful, timid people in the far north....and then something came to mind. um excuse me, Canadian lady, but you live in the land of the most fearsome land animals on the planet, just all over the place - grizzlies and polar bears , so you couldn't be all that timid or ya wouldn't keep on living there...and then I thought, "hey wait a minute, these are the people whose national pasttime is the most rough and tumble and violent sport in the civilized world: ice hockey"....this led me to recollect that Canadians are always marching off to war somewhere in the world at the behest of Mother Britain, and always serving admirably and fearlessly; in WW II, the young Canadian men all flew off to join the RAF, volunteers all. A few American joined them, before America entered the war officially.

Naaaw, I think the Canadians are tough and brave and fearless. Yup. Very. And they seem to have a purity of heart I don't detect in other nationalities. Amazing..and no wonder they are liked around the world, with Americans having to claim to be Canadians so people in other countries will give them the time of day.

So I think America is always honored and bettered for every Canadian who comes here.

Feralone

Sam said...

Thank you, Feralone. The reserved Canadian exterior hides a passionate and ballsy inner self. Deceptive.
The national pastime of Canadians may be ice hockey, but the national sport is lacrosse. It ain't for sissies, either. Flying hockey pucks and lacrosse balls are two of the deadliest missiles there are.

hucktunes said...

Yep, the Canucks are a hardy folk, allright. America, Jr.

Geezergirl said...

Thanks for the pic of the view from your kitchen sink. As soon as i wash the window, i will get a pic of my view. It's quite different because its high up. If someone did a book of views from kitchen sinks i would buy it. I guess that would involve knocking on everyone's door and asking to go inside and take the pic. Heck, what else do we got to do at our age?